Visualização de leitura

SpaceX’s Starbase is getting a few monuments dedicated to Elon Musk. Not all will be flattering.

Elon Musk statue
The Elon Musk bust is now one of the few monuments dedicated to the CEO that will be placed near SpaceX's Starbase complex.

Gabriel V. Cardenas/Bloomberg via Getty Images

  • Starbase is an incorporated Texas city and the site of SpaceX's large launch complex.
  • Fans and critics of Elon Musk have shared plans to erect monuments dedicated to the CEO.
  • One statue — a bust of Musk — has already been placed near Starbase and was vandalized last year.

Lovers and haters are erecting monuments for their favorite tech billionaire, Elon Musk.

Just north of the US-Mexico Border, near Brownsville, Texas, sits Starbase, SpaceX's massive rocket launch and development site. In 2025, the surrounding area became incorporated as the City of Starbase, with a population of more than 500 residents, though thousands of people work at the complex.

Recently, Starbase has turned into a locus of monuments tied to Musk and the achievements — or excesses, depending on your point of view — of his companies.

A French foundry group, Atelier Missor, shared photos on X last week, showing its progress in erecting a statue near the complex.

In a few days, Prometheus will stand 50 ft tall, holding high the torch of the West.

Starbase, Texas. pic.twitter.com/olP1D7VT23

— Atelier Missor (@AtelierMissor_) August 9, 2026

The group wrote that the monument depicts Prometheus, a Greek mythological figure, holding a torch, and is supposed to stand 50 feet tall. Prometheus is famously known as the titan who stole fire from Zeus and gave it to humanity.

Last year, Atelier Missor wrote on X that it wished to offer "a colossal titanium statue of Prometheus to Starbase," adding that "SpaceX makes humanity dream." The group has also publicly reached out to Musk about its plans.

It's unclear whether the CEO ever responded to the post directly or whether Atelier Missor contacted him privately. Musk has interacted with Atelier Missor's X posts before, giving the group props for some of its concepts.

Atelier Missor did not respond to a request for comment.

One unlikely group is also leading the charge for another Musk monument, but for entirely different reasons.

Cards Against Humanity, the makers of the raunchy, fill-in-the-blank card game, made a public call-to-action on Thursday to raise money for a monument intended to "f—k with Elon Musk."

A spokesperson for Cards Against Humanity told Business Insider that SpaceX's activities at Starbase had damaged the parcel of land the company purchased in 2017 to slow down the first Trump administration's plan to build a wall on the US-Mexico border.

Parcel of land near Starbase
Cards Against Humanity said the parcel of land it owns near Starbase, Texas, had previously been littered with SpaceX equipment.

Cards Against Humanity

The spokesperson added that it has been working to restore the area, but those plans are also complicated by new housing for SpaceX employees.

The land dispute went through the courts in 2024, when the game company sued SpaceX over the property and reached a confidential settlement the following year. Cards Against Humanity said at the time that SpaceX later removed its equipment from the property.

"When we first purchased this land, it was a beautiful lot surrounded by nothing but a peaceful river and open fields," the spokesperson wrote. "Now, it's surrounded by a 'town' called 'Starbase' — corporate hellscape littered with broken rockets and ugly mansions for Musk's s—t-eating executives."

The company organized the "Official Elon Musk is a Sad Little B—h with No Friends Monument Design Committee" and is collecting $10 from contributors to the initiative.

The spokesperson said over 12,000 members have signed up as of Thursday evening, and the company raised about $150,000.

When asked what Musk represents to Cards Against Humanity, the spokesperson said, "the kind of humanity we're actually against."

A SpaceX spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.

Another monument was put up near Starbase two years ago, commissioned by a crypto outfit that launched a memecoin called ElonRWA.

The cofounder of ElonRWA, who has only been identified online as Louis XXII, told Artnews at the time that the statue was meant to resemble a poorly-drawn version of the SpaceX CEO that had gone viral on the internet.

"We wanted to bring this meme into the real world," Louis XXII told Artnews. "How could we have an impact on the real world? We are a bunch of guys on computers active on X, but we wanted to touch more people."

A statue of Elon Musk
A bust of Elon Musk commissioned by ElonRWA was defaced last year.

Sergio Flores/AFP via Getty Images

In April 2025, the statue was defaced with large gashes around the right cheek and chin, ABC News reported. The vandalism occurred around the time of nationwide protests against Trump and Musk, when the CEO helped lead DOGE's efforts to cut federal spending.

A large pink sticker resembling a bandage was later placed on the cheek.

Read the original article on Business Insider

  •  

GM killed Cruise, but don't count it out of the robotaxi race

Cadillac
General Motors said it will roll out eyes-off driving on highways in 2028, starting with the Cadillac Escalade IQ.

Tayfun Coskun/Anadolu via Getty Images

  • General Motors spent $10B on its Cruise robotaxi business before shutting it down in 2024.
  • GM is now focusing on autonomy in personally-owned cars.
  • The company's chief product officer said that technology will converge toward robotaxis.

General Motors may have shut down its dedicated robotaxi division, but it hasn't bowed out of the race.

Sterling Anderson, the former head of Tesla's Autopilot program and GM's chief product officer, told Business Insider in an interview that the company's focus on autonomy in personal cars could be applied to driverless ride-hailing services in the future.

Anderson said GM's approach is to develop self-driving technology by breaking the driving experience into pieces and examining where autonomy is most useful to car owners. That means first tackling long stretches of highway driving before expanding to arterial roads and urban centers.

Over time, the executive said GM's autonomous driving systems will be able to operate in enough regions to make a viable robotaxi service.

"Ultimately, the two converge. Our operating region looks identical to the operating region of a robotaxi company," he said. "The question at that point becomes, 'Why not offer them in a robotaxi-type application as well?'"

GM was once seen as one of the leading challengers to Alphabet's Waymo robotaxis, pouring more than $10 billion into Cruise, the robotaxi startup that it acquired in 2016. The division was shut down in 2024 after facing regulatory hurdles and a safety incident that forced Cruise to pause testing in California.

Cruise robotaxi
GM pulled the plug on its robotaxi business, Cruise, in 2024 and has since shifted its resources to personal autonomy.

David Paul Morris/Bloomberg via Getty Images

GM has since shifted its focus toward its hands-off, eyes-on driver assistance tech called Super Cruise, akin to Tesla Full Self-Driving. The company said in April that GM customers have driven one billion hands-free miles with the feature and that it plans to introduce eyes-off highway driving in 2028.

The shift has come with a rebuilding of GM's autonomous-driving ranks. Business Insider reported in December that it had hired Ronalee Mann, a former Cruise and Tesla executive, for its renewed self-driving focus inside the company. The Information reported last week that GM has rehired about 100 former Cruise employees to develop eyes-off driving capabilities.

Several other legacy automakers and EV startups are charting their own path to robotaxis. Hyundai-backed Motional launched a robotaxi service with Uber in Las Vegas this year and plans to commercialize fully driverless rides there by the end of 2026. Rivian is also developing autonomous driving for a future robotaxi fleet. The EV maker announced a $1.25 billion robotaxi deal with Uber in March.

While GM isn't jumping headfirst into a robotaxi play, Anderson said the company will be prepared to meet the demand.

"We'll be ready for it," he said. "If that's where the world goes, our autonomous vehicles will be capable of being robotaxis as well."

Have a tip? Contact this reporter via email at lloydlee@businessinsider.com or Signal at lloydlee.71. Use a personal email address, a nonwork WiFi network, and a nonwork device; here's our guide to sharing information securely.

Read the original article on Business Insider

  •  

Judge temporarily blocks the Pentagon from declaring Anthropic a national security risk

Dario Amodei speaks at the World Economic Forum
Dario Amodei

Krisztian Bocsi/Bloomberg via Getty Images

  • A federal judge has temporarily struck down the Pentagon's effective blacklisting of Anthropic.
  • US District Judge Rita Lin's ruling hands a major victory to the AI frontier model maker.
  • The Pentagon has already struck a deal with OpenAI and is looking to find other AI companies.

A federal judge has granted Anthropic a major reprieve as the AI company challenges the Pentagon's effective blacklisting.

On Thursday, US District Judge Rita Lin granted Anthropic's request for a preliminary injunction to temporarily block the "Presidential Directive" that ordered federal agencies to stop using Anthropic's technology, and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth's decision to formally label the AI frontier model maker as a "supply chain risk."

Lin also stayed the effective date of the supply-chain designation, meaning that it cannot take place while the injunction is in place.

The decision is a victory for Anthropic and its CEO Dario Amodei, who refused to bow to Hegseth's demands. It is not immediately clear if the Justice Department will appeal the decision. In the hours after talks with Anthropic fell apart, the Pentagon struck a deal with OpenAI.

"We're grateful to the court for moving swiftly, and pleased they agree Anthropic is likely to succeed on the merits," an Anthropic spokesperson said in a statement. "While this case was necessary to protect Anthropic, our customers, and our partners, our focus remains on working productively with the government to ensure all Americans benefit from safe, reliable AI."

Spokespeople for the Pentagon and White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In court filings, Anthropic officials said the risk designation could jeopardize potentially billions in revenue. If the injunction remains, Anthropic will be able to continue to do business with defense contractors.

Lin wrote in her decision that the injunction does not require the Defense Department to use Anthropic's products or services.

Many in tech are closely watching the California case, since it tests whether the federal government can use some of its most severe powers to force a major AI company to agree to contractual terms. Microsoft, which filed an amicus brief in support of Anthropic, also said it was concerned about potential repercussions if companies like itself continued to partner with Anthropic.

Ahead of her ruling, Lin grilled the Justice Department over what she said looked like "an attempt to cripple Anthropic." She said that the Pentagon could have simply discontinued using Claude, but instead, the Trump administration made repeated actions that appeared to be designed to "punish" the company.

"One of the amicus briefs used the term 'attempted corporate murder.' I don't know if it's murder, but it looks like an attempt to cripple Anthropic," Lin said during the hearing. "And specifically, my concern is whether Anthropic is being punished for criticizing the government's contracting position in the press."

Beyond the California case, Anthropic has a separate suit pending in the D.C. Circuit over the supply chain risk designation.

It also remains to be seen how the White House and the broader Trump administration will treat Anthropic beyond the actions Lin's ruling compels.

During the hearing, Deputy Assistant Attorney General Eric Hamilton repeatedly said that the Pentagon questions Anthropic's "reliability and trustworthiness." Hamilton said that defense officials are concerned Anthropic may try to improperly skew its AI models or shut off access.

In recent weeks, Hegseth, who met with Amodei, said the AI startup put "Silicon Valley ideology above American lives." President Donald Trump decried the "WOKE COMPANY" run by " Leftwing nut jobs" in a Truth Social post that was also part of the California lawsuit.

"Their selfishness is putting AMERICAN LIVES at risk, our Troops in danger, and our National Security in JEOPARDY," Trump wrote on Truth Social on February 27.

Read the original article on Business Insider

  •  

White House turns down Elon Musk's offer to cover TSA pay during the partial government shutdown

Elon Musk
Elon Musk offered to cover the TSA workers' salaries as they go without pay during the partial government shutdown.

Andrew Harnik/Reuters

  • TSA agents are working without pay amid the partial government shutdown.
  • Elon Musk on Saturday said on social media that he'd like to cover the workers' salaries.
  • The White House said that it poses "legal challenges" due to Musk's involvement with federal contracts.

The White House turned down Elon Musk's offer to cover TSA agents' salaries as they continue to work without pay amid the partial government shutdown.

"We greatly appreciate Elon's generous offer," Abigail Jackson, a White House spokesperson, told Business Insider. "This would pose great legal challenges due to his involvement with federal government contracts. The fastest way to ensure TSA employees — and all DHS employees — get paid is for Democrats to fund the Department of Homeland Security."

CBS News first reported the White House's rejection. Musk did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The billionaire CEO on Saturday wrote in a social media post that he'd like to cover the salaries of TSA workers "during this funding impasse that is negatively affecting the lives of so many Americans at airports throughout the country."

As of Wednesday, TSA workers missed at least one paycheck as Congress remains at an impasse over funding for the Department of Homeland Security.

The funding lapse has led to staffing shortages and hourslong lines at airports across the country.

As a countermeasure, the Trump administration deployed Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents to address airport disruptions.

Read the original article on Business Insider

  •  

Uber's deal blitz to stop a robotaxi monopoly

Dara Khosrowshahi
Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi

Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

  • Uber has partnered with at least a dozen robotaxi players in the past few years.
  • The ride-hailing giant is spreading its bets in an industry that still has no clear winner.
  • The investments also stimulate a robotaxi economy that's not ruled by a singular player.

By Dara Khosrowshahi's telling, the robotaxi future doesn't belong to one company: Multiple vendors supply the fleet as driverless cars expand the market, and in the middle of it all, Uber stands as the demand gatekeeper.

The ride-hailing giant's latest deal blitz seems designed to ensure this is the future that materializes.

Uber announced three new robotaxi partnerships in the past few weeks with Zoox, Wayve-Nissan, and Rivian. In less than half a decade, the company has secured at least a dozen deals, including with WeRide, AVride, May Mobility, Momenta, Pony.AI, Wayve, Baidu's Apollo Go, Motional, and Lucid-Nuro.

Still, less than a half-dozen of Uber's partners have deployed fully driverless, paid robotaxi operations, and only one, Waymo, operates in the US. Uber has a joint deployment with Waymo in Atlanta, Austin, and Phoenix, but in other cities, Waymo is a competitor.

Uber's partnership spree is less about seeking the singular, dominant player of autonomous driving. Instead, analysts told Business Insider that Uber is ensuring multiple vendors can participate in the expensive business of robotaxis — fending off the real risk of a Waymo or Tesla scaling on its own — and giving itself a stake in the robotaxi economy by being the aggregator of choice.

"The more diversified the supplier base, the better for the network in the middle, which is Uber," Mark Mahaney, an Uber analyst for Evercore ISI, told Business Insider.

Uber's defense and offense

Uber abandoned its in-house self-driving division years ago. Today, the ride-hailing company is targeting partnerships, including companies that, unlike Waymo, have expressed no interest in making their own apps, such as Nuro and Hyundai's Motional.

Instead, it is going the partnership route to shape a multiplayer market with companies that have expressed no interest in developing their own apps, including Nuro and Hyundai's Motional.

Those partnerships are not just about hedging, said Lloyd Walmsley, an Uber analyst for Mizuho Financial Group. By joining the investor roster, a giant like Uber puts its stamp of approval on those companies, thus attracting other investors that can help fund a smaller outfit, he said.

"The bets they're making aren't that big relative to their market cap," Walmsley said of Uber. "So it's in their interest to put a little bit of capital out there that then attracts even more capital from third parties that will build the ecosystem for them."

Laura Major, the CEO of Motional, framed the stakes more bluntly. She told Business Insider that autonomy — and having multiple players — is "existential" for Uber.

"If there's one winner, that's going to be a problem for them," Major said. "I think it creates a huge risk if that robotaxi partner starts their own ride-hail service."

Uber's strategy, through that lens, is defensive. Waymo has shown it can offer commercial robotaxis with its own app and fleet maintenance, and Tesla remains a looming threat as it works on Robotaxi. If one or both companies can control the car, the software, and the customer relationship at scale, Uber's position weakens.

However, Uber's bets are also opportunistic. Walmsley said that if Uber can add more autonomous options that bring down the cost of human-driven rides, the company can increase demand, not just cannibalize the volume of trips that exist today.

Mahaney agreed that Uber's strategy can expand the total addressable market — in this case, the total pool of ride bookings Uber could eventually capture. He added that a larger group of partners could also help Uber secure more favorable deal terms.

One or two players could "probably extract pretty aggressive terms from Uber," Mahaney said. "If there are five to 10, then actually Uber gets more negotiating leverage."

Who will stay in the robotaxi race?

The gap between signing a partnership and putting thousands of safe, fully driverless cars on the road remains wide. Most of Uber's partners have yet to deploy a fully driverless, paid service.

Motional believes cost could be the decisive factor. Alan Hall, Motional's director of communications, said flashy demos and features will matter less than who can scale the cheapest and safest ride.

Mahaney, the Evercore ISI analyst, similarly said that having a few cars in one city proves far less than having a company that can sustain a large commercial fleet. Until then, Uber is placing bets on a field that still has no clear shape, he said.

"There are a lot of players out there," Major, the Motional CEO, said. "No one knows quite who's going to survive this phase."

An Uber spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.

Read the original article on Business Insider

  •