Visualização de leitura

Trump's sweeping student-loan repayment overhaul cleared its final hurdle

Donald Trump
President Donald Trump's administration announced the final rule for its major student-loan repayment overhaul.

Will Oliver/EPA/Bloomberg via Getty Images

  • The Department of Education announced its final rule for its student-loan repayment overhaul.
  • The rule includes new repayment plans and borrowing caps for advanced degrees.
  • The changes will be implemented beginning July 1.

It's official: millions of student-loan borrowers will face sweeping repayment changes this summer.

On Thursday, President Donald Trump's Department of Education announced its final rule for its student-loan repayment overhaul, which includes new borrowing caps and repayment plans that will go into effect on July 1.

Nicholas Kent, the department's undersecretary, told reporters on a press call that the final rule includes four key provisions: the elimination of the Grad PLUS program, new loan limits for graduate and professional students, allowing schools to establish their own loan caps "that match the true value" of the programs they offer, and the creation of two new repayment plans.

"Collectively, our changes will ensure students continue to have the access that they need for federal student loans, while helping prevent borrowers from taking on unmanageable debt levels that they may never be able to repay," Kent said.

The changes stem from Trump's "big beautiful" spending legislation, and were negotiated with stakeholders, including industry representatives and borrower advocates, at the end of 2025.

The new borrowing caps are among the most discussed changes in the overhaul. The Department of Education is setting a $100,000 lifetime cap for graduate students and a $200,000 cap for professional students, and it narrowed the definition of "professional" to 11 programs, including law, medicine, and dentistry. That means previously eligible programs, like postgraduate nursing, are no longer eligible.

Some students and advocates have raised concerns that the caps could push students to seek additional financing in the private lending market or forgo their programs altogether.

Additionally, the department is capping Parent PLUS loans for the first time, which allows parents to borrow the full cost of attendance for their kids' programs. The new cap for parent borrowers will stand at $20,000 annually.

The department will also be rolling out a new Repayment Assistance Plan, replacing existing income-driven repayment plans, including the SAVE plan, which the administration is eliminating. RAP would waive unpaid interest and set monthly payments at a minimum of $10, which is less generous than the terms of existing plans. This will increase borrowers' monthly payments, according to Federal Student Aid projections, sometimes by hundreds of dollars.

Have a story to share about student loans? Contact this reporter at asheffey@businessinsider.com.

Read the original article on Business Insider

  •  

Why millions of student-loan borrowers kicked off Biden's key repayment plan face even more hurdles

President Donald Trump
The Trump administration has minimal oversight of student-loan servicers as millions of borrowers transition to new plans.

Nathan Howard/Getty Images

  • A federal watchdog reported diminished oversight over federal student-loan servicers.
  • It comes as millions of student-loan borrowers on SAVE will soon have to transition to a new plan.
  • Lack of oversight could put those borrowers at risk of billing and account errors.

The student-loan repayment roller coaster keeps rolling.

Over 7 million borrowers who were enrolled in former President Joe Biden's SAVE student-loan repayment plan will soon have to transfer to a new plan after a court approved President Donald Trump's legal settlement to eliminate SAVE.

While the Department of Education has not yet released its guidance on next steps for SAVE borrowers, the transition is set to be a major operational task for federal student-loan servicers. That could be a problem given diminished servicer oversight, a recent report from the Government Accountability Office said.

In addition to the lack of oversight, the Department of Education announced on March 19 that it would begin moving defaulted student-loan borrowers' accounts to the Treasury Department in a new partnership — part of the Trump administration's broader goal to dismantle the Department of Education. Borrower advocates said the move could put millions of accounts at risk of payment errors.

The GAO's report, released in early March, found that the department's Federal Student Aid office stopped assessing the five major federal student-loan servicers on accuracy and call quality in February 2025. The lack of oversight leaves FSA without assurance that servicers are billing borrowers correctly and providing them with accurate information.

"FSA is missing opportunities to ensure that servicers are providing borrowers complete and accurate information as it implements major statutory changes to student loan repayment options affecting millions of borrowers," the report said. Advocates pointed to the elimination of SAVE as a reason the discontinued oversight could harm borrowers.

Aissa Canchola Bañez, policy director at advocacy group Protect Borrowers, said in a statement that the GAO's report "could not come at a worse time, as millions of SAVE borrowers will be forced out of their repayment plan and have no other choice but to rely on their servicer to maintain access to an affordable repayment option."

The SAVE plan, introduced by Biden in 2023, intended to give borrowers cheaper monthly payments with a shorter timeline to debt relief. It's been blocked since the summer of 2024 due to litigation. While Trump's "big beautiful" spending legislation planned to phase out SAVE by 2028, the approved settlement eliminates it ahead of schedule.

It's not only SAVE borrowers — federal servicers will have to oversee the creation of new repayment plans from Trump's spending bill. It includes a standard repayment plan and a new Repayment Assistance Plan, which would allow for forgiveness after 30 years of payments. Rep. Bobby Scott, top Democrat on the House education committee, said in a statement that the GAO report should serve as a "flashing red warning sign about what is to come" as the administration implements the federal repayment overhaul with diminished servicer oversight.

Richard Lucas, acting chief operating officer of FSA, said that the agency has other metrics it uses to evaluate servicer performance, including through surveys that "score the servicers' performance across five measures each for borrower communications, contact center, and website support, as well as six measures for the servicers' management of loans."

It's unclear how soon SAVE borrowers will be required to transition to a new plan and likely face higher monthly payments. The settlement said that the Department of Education would not enroll any new borrowers in SAVE and would deny all pending applications while it moves forward with the repayment changes.

Have a story to share? Contact this reporter at asheffey@businessinsider.com.

Read the original article on Business Insider

  •