Visualização normal

Received before yesterdayNegócios

The mystery of the uneaten lobsters and steaks from the White House Correspondents' Dinner is solved

27 de Abril de 2026, 20:38
Weijia Jiang, President Donald Trump and Melania Trump stand at the White House Correspondents' Dinner

Mandel NGAN / AFP via Getty Images

  • The annual press dinner was canceled after a shooting on Saturday night.
  • It was initially unclear what happened to the 2,600 unserved meals of lobster and steak.
  • The host said Monday that the hotel donated them to two shelters for abused women.

The lobster and steak dinners that went uneaten after a shooting at the White House Correspondents' Dinner this week did not go to waste.

The Washington Hilton, the site of the annual gala, donated the 2,600 meals to two shelters for abused women and their children.

That's according to Weijia Jiang, the CBS News correspondent and president of the journalists' association that throws the so-called "nerd prom."

"They freeze dried the steak and lobster for longer shelf life," Jiang said in a post on X on Monday. "HUGE thank you to the staff that worked through the night under terrible circumstances."

The Hilton donated the ~2600 dinners that went unserved at WHCD. They freeze dried the steak and lobster for longer shelf life before giving them to 2 shelters for abused women and children. HUGE thank you to the staff that worked through the night under terrible circumstances.

— Weijia Jiang (@weijia) April 27, 2026

A Hilton spokesperson said in a statement that "the hotel regularly donates unused food from events to support local organizations."

"Food from this weekend is being donated to our local community partners, and remaining produce items were composted and will be sent to farms for agricultural use," the spokesperson said.

After the shooting, social media was abuzz with people wondering what would happen to the sumptuous suppers slated to be served to the media and political elite.

A member of TMZ's new Washington bureau went to the hotel on Monday in search of the leftovers, going so far as to inspect some dumpsters for signs of them.

The folks at the White House Correspondents' Dinner all left without injury, but thousands of lobsters weren't so lucky. 🦞 https://t.co/x1aKc7EhdI pic.twitter.com/KyBcdKTTZv

— TMZ (@TMZ) April 27, 2026

The $350-a-seat dinner was halted Saturday night after shots rang out during the salad course while President Donald Trump was onstage for his first appearance at the event while in office.

Prosecutors say Cole Allen, 31, traveled from his home in California to the nation's capital and checked into the Hilton with two guns and three knives before trying to crash the party and kill Trump.

A Secret Service agent was shot but saved by his protective vest, and Allen was arrested at the scene.

Read the original article on Business Insider

US soldier charged in Polymarket trades was blocked from rival platform Kalshi

A Kalshi advertisement on a bus shelter
Kalshi says its vetting process blocked Gannon Van Dyke from opening an account.

Bloomberg/Getty Images

  • Prosecutors say Gannon Van Dyke used military secrets to make trades on Polymarket.
  • Kalshi says he tried to open an account on its platform but was blocked.
  • Van Dyke, a master sergeant at Fort Bragg, was indicted on multiple felonies.

The Army Special Forces soldier indicted on charges that he used military secrets to win over $400,000 in Polymarket trades was blocked from opening an account on rival prediction market platform, Kalshi.

Elisabeth Diana, head of communications for Kalshi, told Business Insider that Gannon Van Dyke did not make it past the verification and know-your-customer process but declined to provide more details. Reuters, citing an unnamed source, had earlier reported that Van Dyke tried but failed to gain access to Kalshi.

Van Dyke, a 38-year-old master sergeant assigned to Fort Bragg in North Carolina, was charged with wire fraud and other felonies for placing more than $33,000 in trades related to US action in Venezuela, prosecutors said.

The career soldier was involved in the planning and execution of Operation Absolute Resolve to capture Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and used classified information to make his bets, the indictment alleges.

Van Dyke is being prosecuted in New York, but made his first appearance in federal court in North Carolina on Friday. The court docket states that the government did not seek to detain him, and he was released on $250,000 bond.

He is represented by federal public defenders, who did not respond to a request for comment. He also did not respond to a call from Business Insider.

Nicolás Maduro surrounded by agents and soldiers near a helicopter.
Ousted Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro arrives at the Wall Street heliport following his capture by US forces.

Bloomberg/Getty Images

Polymarket did not immediately respond to an inquiry about the vetting Van Dyke underwent when he signed up for an account. The company said that it tipped off the feds to Van Dyke's trades.

In a statement on X, CEO Shayne Coplan said, "Noise aside, the reality is we work proactively with all relevant authorities on any suspicious activity on our marketplace. We flagged this, referred it, and cooperated throughout the process. This happens constantly behind the scenes, despite what many are led to believe."

Critics have raised alarms about the potential of insider trading on prediction markets and fretted about the possibility that the markets or the current events that fuel them could be manipulated for profit. Kalshi bans insider trading, and Polymarket bans trades based on confidential information.

Kalshi earlier this week said it suspended three political candidates for trading on their own elections as the platform moves to crack down on insider trading.

Asked about the Van Dyke case by reporters in the Oval Office on Thursday, President Donald Trump said he wasn't a big fan of prediction markets.

"The whole world, unfortunately, has become somewhat of a casino," Trump, who once owned several casinos, said. "I don't like it, conceptually, but it is what it is."

Michael Selig, chairman of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, which regulates prediction markets, has defended the businesses, at one point calling them "valuable to society."

The commission filed a civil complaint against Van Dyke in federal court on Thursday.

Read the original article on Business Insider

❌